The Biggest Event in Positive Music!
The emPower Posi Awards were introduced in 2005 to recognize excellence in songwriting for positive, emPowering Music.
The Posi Awards celebrate the powerful music and extraordinary artists who are transforming lives and helping to create a world that works for everyone through the power of Posi-tive music.
The 12th annual Posi Awards promises to be the best ever with more and more new talent submitting each year. Posi (or Positive) Music is its own unique genre and is defined primarily by its message. Posi songs can be any musical style, but have in common messages of peace, unity, healing, emPowerment, personal and global transformation, social justice and environmental sustainability.
The Posi Awards are part of a nationally recognized event called the emPower Posi Music Festival.
Submissions are now closed.
Initial submissions are screened by the emPower executive team to make sure they meet quality and appropriateness guidelines.
- The submission fee is $20 per song/video submitted
- You may submit as many songs as you'd like
- You may submit multiple songs within the same category
- You may submit the same song to multiple categories. Each submission is $20
- You may submit songs for other people
- You must submit through the website, and include the MP3 audio file and lyrics that you cut and paste into the submission form
- We will not accept cassettes, CDs sent through the mail, or songs sent to one of the emPower board members. Please use the website
- If a song doesn’t fit the category it was submitted to, we reserve the right to move it to another category
- Songs should be at least demo quality. If a song has a substandard quality recording, we will disqualify it
- Each entry must be completely original (co-writers allowed) and shall not infringe on any copyrights or any other rights of any third party
- Please no remakes of famous songs or hymns. This is a songwriting contest
- No composition may be entered that has been selected as a finalist in previous Posi Awards
October 1-October 31 – Remaining songs are rated
Songs are rated by emPower Pro Members and Posi Award winners and nominees.
Video finalists are also voted on by “People’s Choice” – fans inside and outside the emPower community.
November 3 – Video winner and Posi Award Nominees are announced kicking off Posi Music Month
The finalists (nominees) are then sent to our professional judging panel made up of artists, songwriters, online radio station managers and producers, ministers, and other professionals in the Posi Music industry. The judging panel’s ratings determine the “outstanding song” in each category.
All decisions made by the executive team and/or the judges are final.
If your song is one of the Finalists selected, you will be invited to perform at the 11th Annual Posi Music Festival and your registration for the entire weekend will be paid. Artists recieving Honorable Mentions will be given a performance slot on the opening night concert and a Pajama Jam Music Showcase.
The Posi Awards currently recognizes excellence in SONGWRITING. A Posi Award is given to the songwriter(s) not the artist, if they are different people.
The eight categories for submission are:
- Uniting: these are songs that emphasize the similarities between us and of our connection as one human family sharing one world. Uniting songs promote global peace, and honor all spiritual paths. These songs help us see through the politics that separate us and to the humanity that unites us. These songs will advocate peace in our world but they are not protest songs. Posi music is not “anti” anything, but “pro” oneness, unity, diversity and peace.
- Personal Transformation: These songs encourage us to grow into our full potential as human beings. They emphasize our journey through life and our constant evolution toward something better. We’ve all been changed at depth at one time or another by hearing a song that met us right where we stood at that time. They are songs about change, epiphanies and “ah-ha” moments. These songs are usually very personal for the songwriter yet are about topics we can all relate to.
- Healing: Songs in the Healing category speak to us of our journey from wounded-ness to wholeness. These songs are about healing our relationships, our finances or our belief systems as well as physical and emotional healings that seem miraculous. They can be personal or tell the story of another’s healing.
- Social Justice/Action: Posi music is all about creating a world that works for everyone on a personal as well as a global level. These songs are about social justice, the environment and recognizing our inter-dependence. They are meant to spur us to action, whether it be to start recycling, adopting a homeless child, or standing up for the rights of others.They’re not critical, negative or political but rather food for thought for a world hungry for positive change.
- New Thought: Posi music crosses religious lines with a universally spiritual message that can appeal to any and all faiths. These songs specifically address our relationship with our higher power and include spiritual chants, musical prayers and songs with theology that embraces all beliefs and finds a thread of commonality that runs through all faith traditions.
- Music That Matters: You will know a “Positive” song when you hear it. It may be an inspirational story put to music, a feel-good sentiment, or any positive thought or idea that uplifts us or makes us smile. These are not typical love songs but can be about transcendent love or love with a spiritual aspect. If it doesn’t quite fit into any of the previous categories, it’s probably Music That Matters.
- Spoken Word: The Spoken Word and its most popular offshoot, Slam Poetry, is used to inform or make an audience conscious of some human aspect pertaining to life. This is a performance category and submissions will be judged on content as well as performance. An audio performance of your piece must be submitted along with the words. Music is allowed as a backdrop for the performance but should not be part of the composition of the submission. Topics for these submissions should fit into one or more of the existing musical categories: Uniting, Healing, Personal Transformation, Social Action & Justice or New Thought. The spoken word piece or poem should not exceed the length of an average song – 3 – 5 minutes maximum.
- Video: Yes, a picture paints a thousand words! Set your Posi song to video, load it up onto YouTube and submit the link as your submission.The video award is given to the artist, not the songwriter, although in many cases they are one and the same. Music videos are rated on their originality and must include actual video. (Photos laid over the music will not be considered.) The song featured on the video must be a “Posi” song that would fit into one of the seven categories if submitted separately.
We have support available to assist you with your questions.
Sign up for the emPower eNews to keep abreast of our ongoing song contests, artists news and any changes in dates or times to our schedule.
Whether you are nominated or not, we hope to see you at the 12th Annual Posi Music Festival!